Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jeff's Trip Last Month Last Part

The next day I played Kayak Polo with my old kayak polo group. It was fun and good to see them again. I wish I could get a group together in PR.
On the weekend I went diving. Rob and Jeff took out their boats and we dove Agate Pass and Waterman wall. Agate Pass was a 4.5 mile an hour drift dive. It’s a wild ride through the long pass. It’s 30’ deep and the visibility in the water was only 5 feet this day! Imagine jogging that fast and only seeing 5 feet in front of you!

Glassy water on the way out.

Lets go down here.

Policeman: "What are you guys doing out here?" We had a little incident with the police boat (again). We dove in teams. Rob and I watched as Anthony, Jeff, and Dave went first. We followed their bubbles during their drift. We had to pay attention or we would loose them. We protected them from all the other boats running through the channel. We expected the same courtesy. They manage to follow us most of the way until the end. Then they were searching for us way far away. When Rob and I surfaced we surfaced next to a pleasure boater and they came over to "help" us. A woman on the boat waves over a police boat. The policeman says: "What are you guys doing out here?" We tell him we are diving (I guess that wasn't obvious to him) and our boats are over there and over there. They said ok and left as soon as one of our boats got to us.

On the way to Waterman.
Rob looking for a good spot to anchor.
Rob cooking the meat while we wait for the current to go slack. The vis was a little better, around 8 feet on this dive. This a deep dive with lots of life. Rob and Dave went first and encountered a strong “waterfall” current sucking them deeper. They came up about 30 minutes latter then Jeff, Anthony, and I gave it a shot. We hit the “waterfall” at the edge of the wall but the current was less and we were able to swim against it. Lots of life on the wall but it was pitch black down at 80’. I had to see by my buddies dive light. The water was flat for the boat ride back to Seattle. We saw bald eagles and Sea Lions.




How do they get up there?

My last day and the weather was just like it is from October to July but this was August! This is the Edmonds ferry coming in. The underwater park is to the right of the ferry dock. Notice how low the tide was. Rob, Margaret, and I had a little walk to get to the water. Again the vis was bad and the first 30 minutes of the dive was boring but the last half of the dive we ran into a large pontoon with lots of life on it. It was placed right beside a large old fishing boat so there were lots of fish congregated around. Lingcod bigger than Katrina were sitting on the pontoon. It was a cool dive. Many of my friends showed up to have a goodbye lunch after the dive. We had a nice time.


I was great to see my family and friends again. I was gone for a month so I was missing Katrina and ready to go home. It was hard to say goodbye.

My sister and mom. My nephew

My mom and niece.

No comments: