Wednesday, April 22, 2009

House Progress..Will it Ever End?

I don't know what it is that I am thinking when I start humongous projects sometimes. I guess I knew things needed to get done and started to realize the dry season was coming to an end when I saw other people doing their roofs and pruning and painting. I am always looking to see what the locals are doing to learn when I need to do things. Somehow though it seems I could have started these projects (sealing the roof, cleaning the water reserve, painting the house) a little (or a lot) sooner. I am making progress...

How it looked before (note the puny plants).


How it looks now - bigger plants and newly painted walls. I have been cutting the tops off the plants and rooting them to make more - they were getting tall. The carport took longer than the house to do because of posts, lots of trim work to do.

Here is the carport area before - the wall was a pale green and the shed was creme colored.

Now the wall and shed are the same color.

Here's the front area before ...red benches, and trim on the ground and fountain. The floor was a dark grey.

Now the floor is a little lighter with matching fountain and benches. I put green accents on the benches to tie it in to the house. The trim is a light oak instead of red and goes a little better with the stone wall. A new pot adorns the cat stage. So what's left? Rejas rejas and rejas...oh, and the metal storm shutters (oil paint - yuck). Poco y poco since my hands hurt. A couple hours a day and I will be painting until this time next year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT A YEAR MAKES. THE HOUSE AND
PROPERTY LOOK GREAT. I HAVE TO
PAINT MY REJAS WHEN I GO BACK TO PR IN JUNE. NOT LOOKING FORWARD
TO IT.

VEE

Anonymous said...

I'm using the 1/2 brushes that are 29 cents each from National (49 cents elsewhere). I tried other brushes and little sponge things first and they didn't work. Spraying seems like a big mess and didn't work for the storm shutters so I wouldn't try that. The hard part for me is working through the storm shutters...I picked the Mango for most of the rejas because I'll be able to change the house color next time to yellow or blue or something without redoing it. I thought hard about the green since it will be a hard color to paint over if I ever do repaint it -so...1/2 inch brushes from National and think hard about the color! katrina