Monday, September 22, 2008

First Day of Work and Mother Nature Conspired Against Me

I started my new job today at Honeywell. I'll be doing the same kind of work I did in the states, electrical test engineering. I have been looking forward to start working. It's a bit of a drive and I gave myself 2 hours today because I don't know what traffic is going to be like. It started raining around midnight and didn't stop. It was really really raining! All the past pictures of waterfalls and rivers in our yard don't come close to showing what was flowing last night! I left the house at 6:30AM. I managed to drive over some small streams and big puddles and got to the main highway #2. Then about 2 minutes later the traffic just stopped. I waited about 40 minutes then decided to turn around and head the opposite direction in the breakdown lane and exit the highway from the ON ramp! It's ok because other people were doing it. I tried three other ways to get past this section but each was blocked by flooding. It was now starting to get light and I stopped at the police station hoping they would tell me how to get around the flooding. They told me to go home and wait a few hours. I called work and told them the problem. I started heading home and decided to give the highway one more chance. Surprise surprise it was open. I got to work after 9AM but I didn't miss anything. Getting home was no problem but I did see a big cow walking down the median of HW 2. There was a police car following it. I think the weather reports said we got a foot of rain. What a way to start my first day. I hope the rain stops soon. It's still raining. At least we never lost power!

3 comments:

Fran and Steve said...

Jeff, I sure hope your new employer appreciates your dedication, after having braved the worst flooding on the island in a century! I read that your area continues to be battered. I hope you two stay at home as much as possible till this is all over! There's a slide show on the El Nuevo Dia site that illustrates the disaster. http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/fotogaleria/462203. And all this from a "mere tropical wave"! Fran

Anonymous said...

"...I did see a big cow walking down the median of HW 2. There was a police car following it."

That is SO funny. Yet to be expected. I wonder if the cow ended up with a ticket :).

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Congrats on the new job! Are you going to work full-time? Is the drive going to be that long usually or can you work from home occassionally? I bet you are relieved, especially if they have health insurance...
Take care,
Cassie