Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pink Stuff and Pods

One really great thing about Puerto Rico is that you can grow just about everything (except vegetables). Every kind of fruit or flower grows here and does well. Vegetables are really hard unless you want slimy stuff like okra or the Malabar vining spinach or roots. The stuff I would like to eat is very difficult to grow here . I've had some success...but flowers? Totally awesome. The flower above is a "sexy pink" heliconia. I am a heliconia junky and find them for $8 at the pulgero in San Sebastian. The little canoe of seeds on the right I thought was garbage at first - but it was a canoe full of seeds! Looks like nature's saran wrap.

This lovely brown flower is my new favorite - the "bat flower" aka "cat's whiskers" Jeff doesn't get why I just love this but that's ok - I don't understand how batteries and chargers are interesting!


The hot pink bananas I moved from the other house. They aren't edible but who cares? I grow them because of "cool factor." I just love the odd plants. In Washington I really liked black and green flowers. I grew kiwis and bamboo and windmill palms and of course bananas! The neon carpet above are pomorosa petals. This is a kind of decent fruit but I'd grow it for the blossoms alone! We went caving and there were carpets of blossoms all along the roadside! Technicolor plants are something amazing about Puerto Rico.

3 comments:

Britton said...

I love the pink bananas, it is too bad they don't produce edible food!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture. I think if I found myself lost and hungry in a jungle and found ripe ones like that, I would make them a nice munch. Lol

Anonymous said...

I got nothing but time....